Vistaril (Generic Hydroxyzine)
Actual product appearance may differ slightly.
Why is this medication prescribed?
Vistaril (hydroxyzine) is prescribed for various medical conditions due to its pharmacological properties. The primary uses of Vistaril include:
- Anxiety and Tension: Vistaril is often prescribed to manage anxiety and tension. It has sedative effects that can help promote relaxation.
- Allergic Reactions: It is used to relieve itching caused by allergic reactions. Hydroxyzine, the active ingredient in Vistaril, has antihistaminic properties, meaning it can block the effects of histamine, a substance produced by the body during an allergic reaction.
- Itching: Vistaril is sometimes prescribed to alleviate itching associated with various skin conditions.
- Nausea and Vomiting: It may be used to control nausea and vomiting, especially in the context of anesthesia and surgery.
- Sedation: Vistaril is sometimes used for sedation before and after general anesthesia.
The medication works by blocking the effects of histamine in the body. Histamine is a substance released during allergic reactions, leading to symptoms like itching and hives. By blocking histamine, Vistaril helps alleviate these symptoms.
How should this medicine be used?
The appropriate use of Vistaril (hydroxyzine) depends on the specific condition being treated and individual patient factors. It’s crucial to follow your doctor’s instructions and the medication guidelines provided with the prescription. Here are some general guidelines for the use of Vistaril:
- Dosage: The dosage of Vistaril can vary depending on the severity of the condition being treated, the patient’s age, weight, and overall health. Your doctor will determine the appropriate dosage for your specific situation.
- Administration: Vistaril is usually taken orally, with or without food. It’s important to take the medication exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Do not take more or less than the prescribed dose, and do not stop taking it without consulting your healthcare provider.
- Frequency of Use: The frequency of Vistaril dosing will be determined by your doctor. It may be taken multiple times a day or as a single daily dose. Follow the prescribed schedule.
- Avoid Alcohol and CNS Depressants: Vistaril can cause drowsiness and impair mental alertness. It is important to avoid alcohol and other central nervous system (CNS) depressants while taking Vistaril, as combining these substances can increase sedation and impair coordination.
- Precautions: Inform your doctor of any other medications, supplements, or herbal products you are taking to avoid potential interactions. Mention any medical conditions you have, especially if you have a history of heart disease, glaucoma, urinary retention, or if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Monitoring: Your doctor may want to monitor your response to the medication and adjust the dosage if necessary. Keep regular follow-up appointments and communicate any concerns or side effects to your healthcare provider.
- Driving and Operating Machinery: Due to the sedative effects of Vistaril, it’s important to avoid activities that require mental alertness, such as driving or operating heavy machinery, until you know how the medication affects you.
It’s essential to consult with your healthcare provider for personalized guidance on the use of Vistaril based on your specific health condition and medical history. If you have any questions or concerns about the medication, do not hesitate to contact your doctor or pharmacist.
Other uses for this medicine
In addition to its primary uses for anxiety, allergic reactions, itching, and nausea, Vistaril (hydroxyzine) may be prescribed for other off-label uses. Off-label use means that the medication is being used for a purpose not approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Some off-label uses of Vistaril may include the management of insomnia and certain types of dermatitis.
What special precautions should I follow?
Special precautions should be taken when using Vistaril, and it’s important to communicate openly with your healthcare provider. Here are some specific precautions to keep in mind:
- Allergies: Inform your doctor if you are allergic to hydroxyzine or any other medications. This is crucial to prevent allergic reactions.
- Pregnancy and Breastfeeding: If you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or breastfeeding, discuss the risks and benefits of using Vistaril with your doctor. The medication may pass into breast milk, so a decision will need to be made about whether to discontinue breastfeeding or the use of Vistaril.
- Medical Conditions: Let your doctor know if you have any pre-existing medical conditions, especially heart disease, glaucoma, high blood pressure, asthma, or urinary retention. These conditions may be affected by the use of Vistaril, and your doctor will need to consider them when prescribing the medication.
- Central Nervous System Depression: Vistaril can cause drowsiness and sedation. Avoid activities that require mental alertness, such as driving or operating heavy machinery, until you know how the medication affects you. Also, be cautious when combining Vistaril with other medications that can cause central nervous system depression, such as alcohol or benzodiazepines.
- Interactions with Other Medications: Inform your healthcare provider about all medications, supplements, and herbal products you are taking, as Vistaril may interact with other drugs.
- Elderly Population: The elderly may be more sensitive to the side effects of Vistaril, especially sedation. Lower doses may be recommended for this population.
- Renal or Hepatic Impairment: If you have kidney or liver problems, your doctor may need to adjust the dosage of Vistaril.
It’s important to follow your doctor’s recommendations closely and report any unusual or severe side effects promptly. If you have questions or concerns about Vistaril or its use, consult with your healthcare provider for personalized advice based on your individual health profile.
What special dietary instructions should I follow?
There are no specific dietary restrictions associated with Vistaril. However, it’s always a good idea to take the medication with water and follow any general dietary recommendations provided by your healthcare provider.
What should I do if I forget a dose?
If you forget to take a dose of Vistaril, take it as soon as you remember. However, if it’s almost time for your next scheduled dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not double up on doses to make up for a missed one.
What side effects can this medication cause?
Vistaril (hydroxyzine) can cause side effects, and individuals may react differently to the medication. Common side effects are generally mild, but some people may experience more severe reactions. It’s important to contact your healthcare provider if you notice any unusual or persistent side effects. Here is a list of potential side effects associated with Vistaril:
Common Side Effects:
- Drowsiness: Vistaril is known for its sedative effects, and drowsiness is a common side effect. Avoid activities that require mental alertness, such as driving or operating heavy machinery, until you know how the medication affects you.
- Dry Mouth: This is a common side effect and can often be managed by staying well-hydrated, chewing sugar-free gum, or using lozenges.
- Blurred Vision: Some individuals may experience temporary blurred vision while taking Vistaril.
- Constipation: This side effect can sometimes occur, and maintaining a healthy diet with adequate fiber and fluid intake may help.
Less Common Side Effects:
- Headache: Some individuals may experience headaches while taking Vistaril.
- Nausea or Upset Stomach: This is a less common side effect, but it can occur in some people.
- Confusion: Especially in the elderly, Vistaril may cause confusion or cognitive impairment.
Serious Side Effects (Rare):
- Allergic Reactions: Severe allergic reactions to Vistaril are rare but can occur. Seek immediate medical attention if you experience symptoms such as rash, itching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat), severe dizziness, or difficulty breathing.
- Irregular Heartbeat: In rare cases, Vistaril may cause irregular heartbeats (arrhythmias). Inform your healthcare provider if you experience palpitations or a rapid or irregular heartbeat.
- Seizures: Although rare, seizures have been reported in some individuals taking Vistaril.
It’s important to note that this is not a complete list of side effects, and individuals may experience side effects not listed here. Always consult with your healthcare provider if you have concerns about the side effects of Vistaril or if you experience any unusual symptoms while taking the medication. Your doctor can provide guidance based on your specific health situation.
What should I know about storage and disposal of this medication?
Storage and Disposal of Vistaril:
- Storage: Keep Vistaril in a tightly closed container at room temperature, away from moisture and heat. Avoid storing it in the bathroom. Follow any specific storage instructions provided by your pharmacist or healthcare provider.
- Keep Out of Reach of Children: Store Vistaril out of reach of children and pets to prevent accidental ingestion.
- Disposal: Dispose of unused or expired medication properly. Do not flush medications down the toilet unless instructed to do so. Consult your pharmacist or local waste disposal company for information on how to safely dispose of medications.
In case of emergency/overdose
- Contact Emergency Services: If you suspect an overdose or experience severe symptoms such as loss of consciousness, seizures, or difficulty breathing, seek emergency medical attention immediately.
- Poison Control Center: In the United States, you can contact the Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222 for guidance on what to do in case of an overdose.
What other information should I know?
- Follow Doctor’s Instructions: Take Vistaril exactly as prescribed by your healthcare provider. Do not adjust the dosage or stop taking the medication without consulting your doctor.
- Regular Monitoring: Attend follow-up appointments as scheduled by your healthcare provider. They may want to monitor your response to the medication and make any necessary adjustments to your treatment plan.
- Inform Healthcare Providers: Inform all healthcare providers involved in your care about your use of Vistaril, including dentists and emergency medical personnel. This information is important in case of emergencies or the need for additional medical treatment.
- Avoid Alcohol and CNS Depressants: Vistaril can cause drowsiness, so it’s important to avoid alcohol and other central nervous system depressants while taking the medication.
- Inform About Allergies: Inform your healthcare provider about any allergies you have, especially if you are allergic to hydroxyzine or similar medications.
- Medical Alert Bracelet: If you have a history of severe allergic reactions or other medical conditions, consider wearing a medical alert bracelet to inform emergency responders about your medication and health status.
Always consult with your healthcare provider or pharmacist if you have specific questions about the storage, disposal, or emergency procedures related to Vistaril. They can provide guidance based on your individual health needs and circumstances.