Oxtellar XR (Generic Oxcarbazepine)
Actual product appearance may differ slightly.
Why is this medication prescribed?
Oxtellar XR is a brand name for the medication oxcarbazepine, which is an anticonvulsant or antiepileptic drug. It is primarily prescribed for the treatment of certain types of seizures in individuals with epilepsy. Oxtellar XR is specifically indicated for use as adjunctive therapy in the treatment of partial seizures in adults and children aged 6 years and older.
Partial seizures are a type of epileptic seizure that begins in a specific area of the brain and may or may not spread to involve the entire brain. Oxtellar XR helps to control these seizures by stabilizing the electrical activity in the brain, preventing the excessive and abnormal firing of nerve cells that can lead to seizures.
How should this medicine be used?
Oxtellar XR (oxcarbazepine) is an extended-release tablet that is taken orally. It is important to follow the instructions provided by your healthcare professional and the medication’s label. Here are general guidelines for using Oxtellar XR:
- Dosage: Take Oxtellar XR exactly as prescribed by your doctor. The dosage will vary depending on your age, weight, medical condition, and response to the medication. Do not change your dosage without consulting your doctor.
- Timing: Oxtellar XR is usually taken once daily, preferably at the same time each day. It can be taken with or without food, but try to take it consistently with respect to meals.
- Swallowing: Swallow the tablet whole without crushing, chewing, or breaking it. Breaking the tablet may affect its extended-release properties and can alter the way the medication is absorbed by your body.
- Avoid sudden discontinuation: If you need to stop taking Oxtellar XR, consult your doctor first. Suddenly stopping the medication can increase the risk of seizures or other withdrawal symptoms. Your doctor will provide guidance on gradually tapering off the medication if necessary.
- Compliance: It is important to take Oxtellar XR regularly and consistently to maintain a steady level of the medication in your body. Skipping doses or taking them irregularly can reduce the effectiveness of the treatment.
- Follow-up appointments: Attend regular check-ups with your doctor to monitor your condition, assess the response to the medication, and make any necessary adjustments to your treatment plan.
Remember, these instructions are general guidelines, and it’s crucial to consult your healthcare professional for personalized advice on how to use Oxtellar XR based on your specific circumstances.
Other uses for this medicine
Oxtellar XR (oxcarbazepine) is primarily prescribed for the treatment of partial seizures in individuals with epilepsy. However, it is important to note that healthcare professionals may sometimes prescribe medications off-label, meaning for uses other than those officially approved by regulatory authorities. Off-label uses of Oxtellar XR may include the treatment of other types of seizures or certain psychiatric conditions. However, the decision to use Oxtellar XR off-label should be made by a qualified healthcare professional based on an individual’s specific circumstances.
What special precautions should I follow?
Regarding special precautions for Oxtellar XR, here are some important considerations:
- Hypersensitivity: Inform your doctor if you have a known hypersensitivity or allergy to oxcarbazepine or any other medications. Allergic reactions can range from mild skin rashes to severe reactions that may require immediate medical attention.
- Blood disorders: Oxtellar XR may affect your blood cells, leading to blood disorders such as low white blood cell count or low platelet count. Your doctor may order periodic blood tests to monitor your blood cell counts during treatment.
- Liver function: Oxtellar XR is metabolized by the liver, so individuals with liver problems should exercise caution when taking this medication. Your doctor may monitor your liver function through blood tests and adjust the dosage accordingly.
- Hyponatremia: Oxtellar XR has been associated with a condition called hyponatremia, which is low sodium levels in the blood. Symptoms of hyponatremia may include nausea, headache, confusion, seizures, and in severe cases, it can be life-threatening. Inform your doctor if you experience any unusual symptoms.
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding: Oxtellar XR may pose risks to a developing fetus. It is important to discuss with your doctor if you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant, as alternative medications or adjustments to your treatment plan may be necessary. Similarly, the use of Oxtellar XR during breastfeeding should be discussed with your doctor, as the medication may pass into breast milk.
- Interactions with other medications: Inform your doctor about all the medications, supplements, and herbal products you are taking, as they may interact with Oxtellar XR. Some medications, such as certain birth control pills, may be less effective when taken with Oxtellar XR. Your doctor can advise you on potential interactions and adjust your treatment accordingly.
These are general precautions associated with Oxtellar XR, but it is essential to consult your healthcare professional for personalized advice and guidance based on your specific medical history and condition.
What special dietary instructions should I follow?
There are no specific dietary instructions that need to be followed while taking Oxtellar XR (oxcarbazepine). However, it is generally recommended to take the medication with or without food, consistently following the same approach with each dose. If you have any concerns about potential interactions between Oxtellar XR and certain foods or beverages, it is advisable to consult your healthcare professional or pharmacist.
What should I do if I forget a dose?
If you forget to take a dose of Oxtellar XR, take it as soon as you remember, unless it is close to the time for your next scheduled dose. In that case, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one. Taking too much Oxtellar XR at once can increase the risk of side effects.
What side effects can this medication cause?
Oxtellar XR (oxcarbazepine) may cause side effects in some individuals. It’s important to note that not everyone will experience these side effects, and their severity can vary from person to person. Common side effects of Oxtellar XR can include:
- Dizziness or drowsiness
- Fatigue or tiredness
- Nausea or vomiting
- Double vision or blurred vision
- Balance problems or unsteadiness
- Difficulty with coordination
- Tremor or shaking
- Skin rash or allergic reactions
- Abnormal gait or walking difficulties
There are other potential side effects that are less frequent but may be more severe. These can include:
- Serious skin reactions.
- Suicidal thoughts or behavior.
- Mood changes, such as depression or anxiety.
- Decreased sodium levels in the blood (hyponatremia).
- Liver problems, including liver function abnormalities.
- Blood disorders, such as low white blood cell count or low platelet count.
- Allergic reactions, including swelling, difficulty breathing, or hives.
It’s important to promptly report any concerning or persistent side effects to your healthcare professional. They can evaluate the symptoms, provide appropriate guidance, and make any necessary adjustments to your treatment plan.
This list of side effects is not exhaustive, and there may be other possible side effects associated with Oxtellar XR. It’s recommended to review the medication’s package insert or consult with your doctor or pharmacist for comprehensive information on potential side effects.
What should I know about storage and disposal of this medication?
Storage and disposal:
- Store Oxtellar XR at room temperature, away from moisture, heat, and light.
- Keep the medication in its original container, tightly closed, and out of reach of children.
- Do not transfer the tablets to a different container unless specifically instructed to do so.
- Follow any specific storage instructions provided by your pharmacist or healthcare professional.
Disposal of unused medication:
- Properly dispose of any unused or expired Oxtellar XR tablets.
- Do not flush the medication down the toilet or drain unless instructed to do so by local regulations.
- Consult your pharmacist or local waste disposal authorities for guidelines on safe medication disposal methods.
In case of emergency/overdose
- In the event of an emergency or suspected overdose, immediately contact your local emergency services or go to the nearest emergency room.
- It may be helpful to have the medication’s packaging or container with you to provide information to healthcare professionals.
- If possible, inform them about the specific medication and dosage taken.
What other information should I know?
- Keep all scheduled appointments with your healthcare professional for regular check-ups and monitoring of your condition.
- Inform your doctor about all other medications, supplements, or herbal products you are taking, as they may interact with Oxtellar XR.
- Oxtellar XR may cause dizziness, drowsiness, or other side effects that can impair your ability to drive or operate machinery. Use caution until you understand how the medication affects you.
- Avoid alcohol consumption while taking Oxtellar XR, as it may increase the risk of certain side effects.
- Inform any other healthcare provider, including dentists or surgeons, about your use of Oxtellar XR before undergoing any procedures.
It’s important to carefully follow all instructions provided by your healthcare professional, as well as the information on the medication’s label and package insert. If you have any specific concerns or questions about Oxtellar XR, consult your doctor or pharmacist for further guidance.