Nuedexta (Generic Dextromethorphan and Quinidine)
Actual product appearance may differ slightly.
Why is this medication prescribed?
Nuedexta is a medication that is primarily prescribed for the treatment of a specific condition called pseudobulbar affect (PBA), also known as emotional incontinence. PBA is a neurological disorder characterized by sudden and uncontrollable episodes of laughing or crying that are disproportionate to the individual’s emotional state. Nuedexta contains two active ingredients: dextromethorphan, which is a cough suppressant, and quinidine, which is commonly used to treat certain heart rhythm disorders. The combination of these two medications in Nuedexta is believed to help regulate certain neurotransmitters in the brain, which can help control the involuntary episodes of laughing or crying associated with PBA.
How should this medicine be used?
Nuedexta should be used exactly as prescribed by a healthcare professional. It is available in capsule form and is typically taken orally. The recommended dosage and frequency will vary depending on the individual’s condition and response to treatment.
Here are some general guidelines for using Nuedexta:
- Follow the instructions provided by your healthcare professional and read the medication guide that comes with the prescription carefully.
- Take Nuedexta with or without food, as directed by your doctor.
- Swallow the capsules whole. Do not crush, chew, or open them.
- If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you remember. However, if it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and resume your regular dosing schedule. Do not double the dose to make up for a missed one.
- It is important to continue taking Nuedexta even if you feel well, unless otherwise instructed by your doctor.
- Do not stop taking Nuedexta suddenly without consulting your healthcare professional, as it may lead to withdrawal symptoms or a recurrence of your symptoms.
Remember to consult your healthcare professional for personalized instructions on how to use Nuedexta. They will consider your specific medical condition and provide you with the most appropriate dosage and usage guidelines.
Other uses for this medicine
Regarding other uses for Nuedexta, it is important to consult with a healthcare professional to determine the appropriate treatment options. While Nuedexta is primarily approved for the treatment of PBA, there may be off-label uses that healthcare providers consider based on individual circumstances and medical judgment.
What special precautions should I follow?
Regarding special precautions for Nuedexta, here are some important points to consider:
- Allergies: Inform your healthcare professional if you have any known allergies to Nuedexta’s ingredients, dextromethorphan or quinidine. Discuss any history of allergic reactions to medications or other substances.
- Medications and Medical Conditions: Provide a comprehensive list of all medications you are currently taking, including prescription, over-the-counter drugs, vitamins, and supplements. Inform your doctor about any medical conditions you have, especially heart rhythm disorders, liver disease, kidney disease, or a history of bleeding problems.
- Pregnancy and Breastfeeding: The use of Nuedexta during pregnancy or while breastfeeding should be discussed with a healthcare professional. The potential risks and benefits for both the mother and the baby need to be carefully evaluated.
- Side Effects: Be aware of potential side effects associated with Nuedexta, such as dizziness, diarrhea, cough, swelling, and changes in heart rhythm. If you experience any concerning side effects, contact your healthcare professional.
- Interactions: Nuedexta can interact with other medications, including those that affect heart rhythm, such as certain antibiotics and antifungal drugs. Inform your healthcare professional about all the medications you are taking to avoid potential interactions.
Always consult your healthcare professional for specific guidance and precautions related to Nuedexta based on your individual health profile and needs.
What special dietary instructions should I follow?
There are no specific dietary instructions for Nuedexta. It can be taken with or without food, as directed by your healthcare professional. However, it’s always a good idea to follow a balanced and healthy diet while taking any medication to support overall well-being.
What should I do if I forget a dose?
If you forget to take a dose of Nuedexta, take it as soon as you remember. However, if it is close to the time for your next scheduled dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for the missed one.
What side effects can this medication cause?
Nuedexta, like any medication, can cause side effects in some individuals. Not everyone who takes Nuedexta will experience side effects, and the severity and frequency of side effects can vary from person to person.
Common side effects of Nuedexta may include:
- Swelling in the feet or ankles
- Urinary tract infection
- Contusion (bruising)
- Insomnia (difficulty sleeping)
- Hallucinations (seeing or hearing things that are not there)
It’s important to note that these are not the only possible side effects, and others may occur. If you experience any concerning or persistent side effects while taking Nuedexta, it’s essential to notify your healthcare professional promptly.
In some rare cases, Nuedexta, particularly due to its quinidine component, can have more serious side effects. These may include:
- Changes in heart rhythm, including a prolongation of the QT interval (which can lead to a potentially dangerous irregular heartbeat)
- Bleeding problems
- Hypersensitivity reactions (allergic reactions)
If you experience any signs of a serious allergic reaction, such as rash, itching, swelling, severe dizziness, or difficulty breathing, seek immediate medical attention.
It’s important to discuss any concerns or potential side effects with your healthcare professional. They can provide you with more detailed information about the specific side effects of Nuedexta and help determine if the benefits of the medication outweigh the risks in your individual case.
What should I know about storage and disposal of this medication?
- Storage: Store Nuedexta at room temperature, away from excessive heat, moisture, and direct light. Follow any specific storage instructions provided by your pharmacist or healthcare professional.
- Keep out of reach of children and pets: Store Nuedexta in a secure place to prevent accidental ingestion by children or pets.
- Disposal: Dispose of Nuedexta properly in accordance with local regulations. Do not flush the medication down the toilet or pour it down the drain unless instructed to do so. Contact your local waste management or pharmacy for guidance on safe medication disposal methods.
In case of emergency/overdose
- Contact emergency services: If someone is experiencing a severe reaction or overdose, call emergency services immediately or go to the nearest emergency room.
- Inform healthcare professionals: Provide information about the medication ingested, including the name (Nuedexta), dosage, and the amount taken, to the healthcare professionals treating the individual.
What other information should I know?
- Regular follow-ups: Attend scheduled appointments with your healthcare professional to monitor your progress, discuss any concerns or side effects, and evaluate the effectiveness of Nuedexta in managing your condition.
- Medication interactions: Inform your healthcare professional about all medications, supplements, and over-the-counter drugs you are taking to avoid potential interactions with Nuedexta.
- Allergic reactions: If you develop signs of an allergic reaction, such as rash, hives, itching, swelling, or difficulty breathing, seek immediate medical attention.
- Compliance: Take Nuedexta as prescribed and adhere to the recommended dosage and schedule. Do not adjust the dose or stop taking the medication without consulting your healthcare professional.
As always, it’s essential to consult your healthcare professional or pharmacist for specific instructions and any additional information related to the storage, disposal, emergencies, or other aspects of using Nuedexta. They can provide you with personalized guidance based on your individual circumstances.