Nasarel (Generic Flunisolide Nasal Spray)
Actual product appearance may differ slightly.
Why is this medication prescribed?
Flunisolide nasal spray is prescribed for the treatment of allergic rhinitis, also known as hay fever. Allergic rhinitis is an inflammation of the nasal passages caused by an allergic reaction to substances such as pollen, dust mites, pet dander, or mold spores. The symptoms of allergic rhinitis include nasal congestion, sneezing, itching, and a runny nose.
Flunisolide is a corticosteroid medication that helps reduce inflammation in the nasal passages, relieving symptoms of allergic rhinitis. It works by decreasing the production of inflammatory substances in the body, thereby reducing nasal congestion and other allergy-related symptoms.
How should this medicine be used?
To use Flunisolide nasal spray properly, follow these steps:
- Shake the bottle gently before each use.
- Remove the protective cap from the nozzle.
- Clear your nasal passages by blowing your nose gently.
- Close one nostril by pressing a finger against it.
- Insert the tip of the spray bottle into the other nostril, aiming it slightly towards the back of your nose.
- Tilt your head slightly forward and keep the bottle upright.
- Breathe in gently through your nose while simultaneously pressing down on the spray bottle to release a puff of medication. Be careful not to sniff deeply or inhale forcefully.
- Remove the spray bottle from your nostril and breathe out through your mouth.
- If your healthcare provider has prescribed more than one spray per nostril, repeat steps 4-8 for the prescribed number of sprays.
- Repeat steps 4-9 for the other nostril if instructed to do so.
- After each use, wipe the tip of the spray bottle with a clean tissue and replace the protective cap.
It’s important to follow the specific instructions provided by your healthcare provider or those included in the medication package. Do not exceed the prescribed dosage or use the nasal spray for a longer duration than recommended. If you have any questions or concerns about using Flunisolide nasal spray, consult your healthcare provider or pharmacist for further guidance.
Other uses for this medicine
Flunisolide nasal spray is primarily used for the treatment of allergic rhinitis and associated symptoms. However, it may also be prescribed for other conditions or purposes as determined by a healthcare professional. These off-label uses may include the management of nasal polyps or other nasal inflammation.
What special precautions should I follow?
When using Flunisolide nasal spray, it is important to take certain precautions:
- Inform your healthcare provider about any known allergies or sensitivities to Flunisolide or any other medications.
- Notify your doctor about any other medical conditions you have, especially if you have had recent nasal surgery or injury, infections, or ulcers in your nose.
- If you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or breastfeeding, discuss the potential risks and benefits of using Flunisolide nasal spray with your doctor.
- Follow the prescribed dosage and avoid exceeding the recommended dose. Using higher doses or using it for longer than advised may increase the risk of side effects.
- If you are using any other nasal sprays or medications, inform your healthcare provider, as certain combinations may interact or have additive effects.
- It may take several days of consistent use before experiencing the full benefits of Flunisolide nasal spray. Continue using it as directed, even if symptoms improve.
- Do not share your nasal spray with others, as it is meant for your specific condition and may not be suitable for others.
- Regularly clean the spray nozzle according to the instructions provided to prevent contamination.
As always, it’s important to consult with your healthcare provider or pharmacist for specific instructions and precautions related to your individual situation. They will be able to provide personalized guidance based on your medical history and current medications.
What special dietary instructions should I follow?
There are no specific dietary instructions to follow when using Flunisolide nasal spray. However, it’s generally recommended to maintain a healthy and balanced diet to support overall well-being.
What should I do if I forget a dose?
If you forget a dose of Flunisolide nasal spray, take it as soon as you remember. However, if it’s close to the time for your next scheduled dose, skip the missed dose and resume your regular dosing schedule. Do not double the dose to catch up.
What side effects can this medication cause?
Flunisolide nasal spray, like any medication, can cause side effects. Not everyone will experience these side effects, and their severity can vary from person to person.
Common side effects of Flunisolide nasal spray may include:
- Nasal irritation or burning
- Sneezing or increased nasal discharge
- Dryness or crusting in the nose
- Sore throat
- Unpleasant taste or smell
These side effects are usually mild and temporary. However, if any of these side effects persist or worsen, or if you experience any other unusual or severe symptoms, it is important to contact your healthcare provider.
In rare cases, the use of Flunisolide nasal spray may lead to more serious side effects. These can include:
- Allergic reactions, characterized by rash, itching, swelling, severe dizziness, or difficulty breathing. Seek immediate medical attention if you experience any signs of an allergic reaction.
- Cataracts or glaucoma, especially with long-term use.
- Slowed growth in children. Your healthcare provider will monitor the growth of children using Flunisolide nasal spray to ensure normal growth patterns.
- Adrenal suppression or adrenal insufficiency, particularly with high doses or long-term use. This is more likely to occur when Flunisolide nasal spray is used at high doses or in combination with oral corticosteroids.
It’s important to discuss any concerns or questions about potential side effects with your healthcare provider before starting Flunisolide nasal spray. They can provide you with more detailed information and guidance based on your individual health profile.
What should I know about storage and disposal of this medication?
- Storage: Store Flunisolide nasal spray at room temperature, away from moisture, heat, and direct sunlight. Avoid freezing the medication. Keep it out of the reach of children and pets.
- Disposal: Do not flush Flunisolide nasal spray down the toilet or pour it into a drain unless instructed to do so. Properly discard unused or expired medication by following local guidelines or consulting your pharmacist.
In case of emergency/overdose
In case of an emergency or overdose, contact your local emergency services or go to the nearest emergency room immediately. Symptoms of an overdose may include severe headache, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, weakness, fatigue, increased blood pressure, or changes in mood. It’s important to bring the medication packaging or label with you to the hospital, if possible, to assist medical professionals in providing appropriate treatment.
What other information should I know?
- Flunisolide nasal spray is for nasal use only. Avoid contact with eyes. If eye contact occurs, rinse thoroughly with water.
- It may take several days of regular use for Flunisolide nasal spray to provide its full benefits. Continue using it as directed, even if you start feeling better.
- Inform your healthcare provider about all the medications you are currently taking, including prescription, over-the-counter, and herbal products, as they may interact with Flunisolide nasal spray.
- If you have any scheduled surgeries or dental procedures, inform your healthcare provider that you are using Flunisolide nasal spray.
- Regularly clean the spray nozzle with a clean tissue or cloth, as directed, to prevent blockage or contamination.
- Keep track of the number of sprays used to ensure you know when to replace the bottle, as it typically has a limited number of doses.
It’s essential to follow your healthcare provider’s instructions and ask them any specific questions you may have about the storage, disposal, emergencies/overdose, or any other concerns regarding Flunisolide Nasal Spray.