Mygel (Generic Simethicone)
Actual product appearance may differ slightly.
Why is this medication prescribed?
Simethicone is not typically prescribed as it is available over-the-counter without a prescription. It is a medication used to relieve symptoms associated with excess gas in the digestive system, such as bloating, flatulence (gas), and discomfort. It is considered an anti-foaming agent, which means it helps break down gas bubbles in the stomach and intestines, making it easier for the gas to be passed out of the body.
How should this medicine be used?
Here are some general guidelines for using Simethicone:
- Follow the instructions: Read and follow the directions on the product label or as provided by your healthcare provider. Different products may have varying concentrations or dosing instructions.
- Liquid form: Simethicone is commonly available in liquid drops or suspension. If you are using the liquid form, measure the dose carefully using the provided dropper or measuring cup. Mix the drops with water, formula, or other liquid as directed, and swallow it.
- Chewable tablets: If you are using chewable tablets, chew them thoroughly before swallowing.
- Swallow whole: If you are using regular tablets or capsules, swallow them whole with a full glass of water unless otherwise instructed.
- Timing: Simethicone can be taken as needed, usually after meals and at bedtime, or as directed by your healthcare provider. Make sure to follow the recommended frequency of use.
- Avoid overdose: Do not exceed the recommended dose unless advised by your doctor.
- Special instructions: If you are using simethicone as a treatment for colic in infants, make sure to follow the specific instructions given by your pediatrician.
- Consult a healthcare provider: If you are uncertain about how to use simethicone or if your symptoms persist or worsen despite its use, consult a healthcare provider for further evaluation and advice.
It’s important to note that simethicone provides relief from symptoms but does not treat the underlying cause of excess gas. If you are experiencing chronic or severe digestive issues, it’s essential to consult a healthcare professional for a proper diagnosis and appropriate treatment.
Other uses for this medicine
- Simethicone is sometimes used before certain medical procedures like barium X-rays or endoscopy to reduce gas and improve visibility in the gastrointestinal tract.
- It may be used for infants with colic, as advised by a pediatrician.
What special precautions should I follow?
Special Precautions for Simethicone:
- Allergies: If you have a known allergy to Simethicone or any of its components, avoid using this medication and seek alternative treatments.
- Medical conditions: If you have a history of gastrointestinal blockage or if you are experiencing severe or persistent abdominal pain, it’s essential to consult a healthcare professional before using Simethicone.
- Interaction with other medications: Simethicone is not known to have significant interactions with other medications. However, it’s always a good idea to inform your healthcare provider about all the medications (including over-the-counter and herbal supplements) you are taking to avoid any potential interactions.
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding: Although Simethicone is generally considered safe during pregnancy and breastfeeding, it’s best to consult your healthcare provider before using any medication during these periods.
- Age considerations: When using Simethicone for infants or children, it’s crucial to follow the pediatrician’s recommended dosage and instructions. Always use the appropriate formulation and concentration for the child’s age.
- Adverse effects: Simethicone is well-tolerated and typically does not cause significant side effects. However, if you experience any unusual or severe symptoms after taking Simethicone, stop using it, and seek medical attention if necessary.
As with any medication, it’s crucial to use Simethicone as directed and not to exceed the recommended dose. If you have any doubts or concerns about using Simethicone, consult your healthcare provider for personalized advice and guidance.
What special dietary instructions should I follow?
There are no specific dietary instructions associated with Simethicone. This medication works locally in the gastrointestinal tract to break down gas bubbles and is not affected by food intake. Therefore, you can take Simethicone with or without food, as directed by your healthcare provider or according to the product label.
What should I do if I forget a dose?
If you forget a dose of Simethicone and you are using it on an as-needed basis (for example, to relieve gas symptoms after a meal), you can simply take the missed dose when you remember. However, if it’s almost time for your next scheduled dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Avoid taking a double dose to make up for the missed one.
What side effects can this medication cause?
Simethicone is generally considered safe and well-tolerated when used as directed. It works locally in the gastrointestinal tract and is not significantly absorbed into the bloodstream, which means it has minimal systemic effects. Most people do not experience any side effects from Simethicone use. However, in rare cases, some individuals may experience mild and transient side effects. These can include:
- Mild stomach upset: Some people may experience mild stomach discomfort, nausea, or vomiting, although this is relatively uncommon.
- Diarrhea: In rare cases, Simethicone may cause diarrhea, but it’s generally mild and self-limiting.
- Allergic reactions: Although extremely rare, some individuals may be allergic to Simethicone or its components, leading to an allergic reaction. Seek immediate medical attention if you experience signs of an allergic reaction, such as rash, itching, swelling, severe dizziness, or difficulty breathing.
It’s essential to note that serious side effects from Simethicone are exceedingly uncommon due to its minimal systemic absorption. If you experience any unexpected or severe symptoms while using Simethicone, stop using the medication, and consult a healthcare professional for proper evaluation.
As with any medication, the risk of side effects can vary from person to person. If you have concerns about using Simethicone or experience any unusual symptoms after taking it, don’t hesitate to contact your healthcare provider for advice and guidance.
What should I know about storage and disposal of this medication?
Storage and Disposal of Simethicone:
- Storage: Keep Simethicone at room temperature, away from excessive heat and moisture. Follow the storage instructions provided on the product label or by your pharmacist. Store the medication out of reach of children and pets.
- Disposal: If you have expired or unused Simethicone, it is best to dispose of it properly to prevent accidental ingestion. Do not flush medications down the toilet or pour them into drains unless instructed to do so. Contact your local pharmacy or waste disposal facility to inquire about the proper way to dispose of medications.
In case of emergency/overdose
In the event of an emergency or suspected overdose, call your local emergency services (911 in the US) immediately. Overdosing on Simethicone is not typically a cause for significant concern, as it is considered a safe medication with minimal systemic absorption. However, if an excessive amount is ingested or you experience severe symptoms, seek medical attention promptly.
What other information should I know
- Read and Follow Instructions: Always read and follow the dosing instructions and any precautions provided on the product label or as directed by your healthcare provider.
- Medical History: Inform your healthcare provider about your medical history, including any allergies, previous gastrointestinal issues, or other health conditions, before using Simethicone.
- Interaction with Other Medications: While Simethicone is not known to interact significantly with other medications, it’s a good practice to inform your healthcare provider about all the medications you are taking, including over-the-counter and herbal supplements.
- Duration of Use: Simethicone is meant for short-term use to relieve gas-related symptoms. If your symptoms persist or worsen despite using the medication, consult a healthcare professional for further evaluation.
- Keep Out of Reach of Children: Store Simethicone in a secure place away from young children to prevent accidental ingestion.
- Follow Age-Appropriate Dosage: If using Simethicone for infants or children, ensure you are using the appropriate formulation and dosage for the child’s age. Follow the pediatrician’s recommendations.
- Allergic Reactions: If you experience any signs of an allergic reaction, such as rash, itching, swelling, severe dizziness, or difficulty breathing after taking Simethicone, seek immediate medical attention.
Remember that the information provided here is general and may not cover all individual circumstances. For personalized advice and recommendations regarding the use of Simethicone or any medication, consult your healthcare provider or pharmacist.