Histinex HC (Generic Hydrocodone Combination Products)
Actual product appearance may differ slightly.
Click the CARD below to print or take a screenshot on your mobile phone or tablet. There is no need to download another app!
If you would like to personalize your card enter your full name in the member name field below the card at this link and click the Update button.
Histinex HC is a combination medication that contains two active ingredients: hydrocodone, an opioid pain reliever, and chlorpheniramine, an antihistamine. While Histinex HC can be prescribed by a healthcare professional to manage certain conditions, it’s important to be aware of the potential risks associated with its use. Here are some key points to consider:
- Side effects: Like any medication, Histinex HC can cause side effects. Common side effects may include drowsiness, dizziness, constipation, dry mouth, blurred vision, and urinary retention. It’s important to be cautious when operating machinery or performing tasks that require alertness until you know how the medication affects you.
- Opioid risks: The hydrocodone component of Histinex HC is an opioid, which carries inherent risks. Opioids can cause physical dependence, leading to withdrawal symptoms if stopped abruptly. Prolonged use or misuse of opioids can also result in addiction. Higher doses or combining opioids with other central nervous system depressants like alcohol can increase the risk of respiratory depression, sedation, and overdose.
- Drug interactions: Histinex HC may interact with other medications, including sedatives, tranquilizers, antidepressants, and other opioids. Combining these substances can lead to increased sedation and respiratory depression. It’s crucial to inform your healthcare provider about all the medications you are taking to avoid potential interactions.
- Precautions and contraindications: Histinex HC is not suitable for everyone. It should be avoided or used with caution in individuals with certain medical conditions, such as asthma, respiratory disorders, liver or kidney problems, and urinary retention. It is also contraindicated in individuals with a history of opioid addiction or hypersensitivity to its components.
- Misuse and abuse potential: Opioid-containing medications like Histinex HC have the potential for misuse and abuse. They can be sought after for their euphoric effects or to alleviate withdrawal symptoms. It’s crucial to use such medications only as prescribed and to store them securely to prevent unauthorized use.
It’s important to note that this is just a brief overview of the risks associated with Histinex HC. To ensure your safety and minimize potential harm, it is essential to consult with a healthcare professional who can provide personalized advice and monitor your specific situation.
Why is this medication prescribed?
Histinex HC is a prescription medication that is commonly used to relieve symptoms associated with respiratory conditions such as the common cold, allergies, and sinusitis. It contains two active ingredients: hydrocodone, which is a cough suppressant, and chlorpheniramine, which is an antihistamine.
The hydrocodone component of Histinex HC helps to suppress coughing by acting on the cough center in the brain. It reduces the urge to cough, which can provide relief for individuals experiencing persistent or severe coughing. The chlorpheniramine component acts as an antihistamine, which helps to alleviate symptoms related to allergies, such as sneezing, runny nose, and itchy or watery eyes.
How should this medicine be used?
It is important to note that Histinex HC should only be used under the guidance and prescription of a healthcare professional. The dosage and duration of treatment will depend on the individual’s specific condition and medical history. It is essential to follow the instructions provided by the prescribing physician or the information on the medication label.
Typically, Histinex HC is taken orally, with or without food, as directed by the healthcare professional. It is important to swallow the tablets whole and not crush or chew them, as it may alter the medication’s intended release mechanism. It is also crucial to adhere to the prescribed dosage and avoid exceeding the recommended amount or extending the treatment duration without consulting a healthcare provider.
Other uses for this medicine
Histinex HC is a medication that contains a combination of chlorpheniramine, hydrocodone, and phenylephrine. It is primarily used to relieve symptoms associated with the common cold, allergies, hay fever, and other respiratory conditions. However, it’s important to note that medication usage and specific indications can vary depending on the country and its regulations, so it’s always best to consult a healthcare professional or refer to the product label for accurate information regarding its approved uses.
What special precautions should I follow?
Regarding special precautions for Histinex HC, it’s essential to follow the guidance provided by your healthcare provider and adhere to the instructions on the medication label. Here are some general precautions to keep in mind:
- Medical history: Inform your healthcare provider about your complete medical history, especially if you have any underlying medical conditions such as asthma, glaucoma, high blood pressure, heart disease, liver or kidney problems, thyroid disorders, or prostate issues. These conditions may influence the safe use of Histinex HC.
- Allergies and sensitivities: Ensure you are not allergic to any of the active or inactive ingredients present in Histinex HC. Review the medication’s label or consult your healthcare provider to determine if you have any known sensitivities.
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding: Inform your healthcare provider if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or breastfeeding. They can assess the potential risks and benefits of using Histinex HC in these situations and provide appropriate recommendations.
- Other medications and substances: Communicate to your healthcare provider about all the medications, supplements, and herbal products you are currently taking. Histinex HC may interact with certain medications, such as monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs), sedatives, tranquilizers, or other respiratory medications. Additionally, avoid alcohol consumption while using Histinex HC as it may enhance the sedative effects of the medication.
- Driving and operating machinery: Histinex HC can cause drowsiness, dizziness, or blurred vision. It’s important to exercise caution when performing tasks that require alertness, such as driving or operating heavy machinery. If you experience any of these side effects, avoid such activities until you know how the medication affects you.
- Dosage and administration: Follow the prescribed dosage instructions provided by your healthcare provider or those specified on the medication label. Do not exceed the recommended dose, as it can lead to serious adverse effects.
- Adverse effects: Be aware of potential side effects associated with Histinex HC, including drowsiness, dizziness, blurred vision, dry mouth, constipation, urinary retention, and gastrointestinal disturbances. If you experience any severe or persistent side effects, consult your healthcare provider.
What special dietary instructions should I follow?
There are no specific dietary instructions associated with Histinex HC. However, it’s always a good practice to follow a balanced and healthy diet while taking any medication to support overall well-being.
What should I do if I forget a dose?
If you forget to take a dose of Histinex HC, take it as soon as you remember. However, if it is close to the time for your next scheduled dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not double the dose to make up for the missed one, as it can increase the risk of side effects. If you have any concerns or questions about missed doses, it’s best to consult your healthcare provider or pharmacist for guidance.
What side effects can this medication cause?
Histinex HC is a combination medication that contains hydrocodone bitartrate (an opioid) and chlorpheniramine maleate (an antihistamine). The following are potential side effects associated with Histinex HC:
Common side effects:
- Drowsiness or sedation
- Dry mouth
- Blurred vision
- Nausea or vomiting
- Urinary retention (difficulty urinating)
- Increased sweating
Less common side effects:
- Respiratory depression (slowed breathing)
- Hypotension (low blood pressure)
- Tachycardia (rapid heart rate)
- Palpitations (awareness of heartbeats)
- Gastrointestinal disturbances
- Allergic reactions (rash, itching, swelling, etc.)
- Mood changes or agitation
- Difficulty sleeping or insomnia
- Tremors or muscle twitches
- Increased intracranial pressure (in rare cases)
It’s important to note that this is not an exhaustive list, and individual reactions may vary. Additionally, opioids like hydrocodone carry a risk of dependence and addiction, and long-term use can lead to withdrawal symptoms if discontinued abruptly.
What should I know about storage and disposal of this medication?
Histinex HC is a prescription medication that contains hydrocodone and chlorpheniramine. It is primarily used to relieve symptoms associated with allergic rhinitis and upper respiratory allergies. Here’s what you should know about its storage, disposal, emergency/overdose situations, and other relevant information:
- Keep Histinex HC in its original container at room temperature, away from excessive heat, moisture, and direct sunlight.
- Store it out of reach of children and pets to prevent accidental ingestion.
- Do not transfer the medication to a different container unless specifically instructed to do so by your healthcare provider or pharmacist.
- Follow your local regulations or guidelines for the proper disposal of medications.
- If no specific instructions are available, you can consider using a drug take-back program or returning the medication to a pharmacy for safe disposal.
- Do not flush Histinex HC down the toilet or throw it in the trash unless directed to do so by authorized personnel or local waste management guidelines.
In case of emergency/overdose
- In case of an emergency or suspected overdose, call your local emergency services or poison control center immediately.
- Be prepared to provide them with information such as the amount of medication ingested, the time of ingestion, and the person’s age, weight, and current medical condition.
- Do not induce vomiting unless specifically instructed to do so by a healthcare professional.
What other information should I know?
- Histinex HC may cause drowsiness or impair your ability to think or react. Avoid activities that require mental alertness until you know how the medication affects you.
- Avoid consuming alcohol or other sedatives while taking Histinex HC, as it may intensify the drowsiness and central nervous system depression.
- Inform your healthcare provider about any other medications, supplements, or medical conditions you have, as they may interact with Histinex HC or increase the risk of side effects.
- Follow the dosage instructions provided by your doctor or pharmacist. Do not exceed the recommended dose or take the medication for longer than prescribed.
- If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you remember. However, if it is close to the time for your next scheduled dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule.
Please note that the information provided here is for general knowledge and should not replace the specific instructions and advice given by your healthcare provider.