Cubicin (Generic Daptomycin Injection)
Actual product appearance may differ slightly.
Click the CARD below to print or take a screenshot on your mobile phone or tablet. There is no need to download another app!
If you would like to personalize your card enter your full name in the member name field below the card at this link and click the Update button.
Why is this medication prescribed?
Certain blood infections or severe skin infections brought on by bacteria are treated in adults and children one year of age and older using daptomycin injection. The drug daptomycin injection belongs to the group of drugs known as cyclic lipopeptide antibiotics. It eliminates bacteria to operate.
Colds, the flu, or other viral diseases cannot be treated with antibiotics, such as daptomycin injection. Antibiotic overuse raises the likelihood that you’ll get an infection later on that is resistant to antibiotic therapy.
How should this medicine be used?
The daptomycin injection is a powder that a doctor or nurse mixes with liquid before injecting it into a vein. It is typically administered once daily. The type of infection being treated and how you react to daptomycin treatment will determine how long your treatment will last. You can administer daptomycin injection at home or have it as an injection in a hospital. Your doctor will demonstrate how to administer daptomycin injection if you choose to use it at home. Make sure you comprehend these instructions, and if you have any issues, consult your healthcare professional. If you experience any difficulties administering daptomycin injection, consult your healthcare practitioner for advice.
During the first several days of daptomycin injectable therapy, you should start to feel better. Call your doctor if your symptoms do not disappear or worsen.
Even if you feel better, keep using the daptomycin injection until the prescription is finished. Your illness could not be entirely treated if you stop using daptomycin injection too soon or skip doses, and the bacteria might develop an antibiotic resistance.
Other uses for this medicine
Ask your doctor or pharmacist for more details if you believe this drug should be used for something else.
What special precautions should I follow?
Before using daptomycin injection,
- If you have an allergy to daptomycin, any other drugs, or any of the ingredients in daptomycin injection, let your doctor and pharmacist know right away. Request a list of the components from your pharmacist.
- Inform your doctor and pharmacist about any additional prescription and over-the-counter drugs, vitamins, dietary supplements, and herbal products you are now taking or intend to use. Incorporate any of the following: atorvastatin (Lipitor, in Caduet), fluvastatin (Lescol), lovastatin (Altoprev), pravastatin (Pravachol), rosuvastatin (Crestor), and simvastatin are examples of cholesterol-lowering drugs (statins) (Zocor, in Vytorin). Your physician might need to adjust the dosage of your drugs or keep a close eye on you for side effects.
- If you have renal illness now or ever have, let your doctor know.
- Inform your physician if you are nursing a baby, intend to get pregnant, or are already pregnant. Call your doctor if you become pregnant while receiving daptomycin injection.
What special dietary instructions should I follow?
Keep eating normally unless your doctor instructs you otherwise.
What side effects can this medication cause?
Side effects from daptomycin injection are possible. If any of these symptoms are severe or do not go away, let your doctor know right once:
- Abdominal pain
- Having trouble falling or staying asleep
- Increased perspiration
- Inflammation, discomfort, or pain at the injection site
- Unexpected weight gain
- Unwell throat
Some adverse effects can be very harmful. Call your doctor right away if any of these symptoms occur to you:
- Skin blisters or rashes
- Breathing or swallowing challenges
- Face, throat, tongue, lips, and eye swelling
- Breathing difficulty
- Chest ache
- Increased urge to urinate, a new or worsening fever, a sore throat, chills, a burning feeling when urinating, or other indicators of infection
- Severe diarrhoea with faeces that are red or watery (up to 2 months after your treatment)
- Weakness or soreness in the muscles, particularly in the lower legs and arms
- Urine with a cola or dark hue
- Hands or foot pain, burning, numbness, or tingling
Other negative effects from daptomycin injection are possible. If you experience any strange issues while taking this drug, call your doctor right away.
You or your doctor can submit a report to the Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA) MedWatch Adverse Event Reporting programme online or by phone if you have a serious side event (1-800-332-1088).
In case of emergency/overdose
Call the poison control hotline at 1-800-222-1222 in the event of an overdose. Additionally, information can be found online at https://www.poisonhelp.org/help. Call 911 right once if the person has collapsed, experienced a seizure, is having difficulty breathing, or cannot be roused.
What other information should I know?
Keep all of your appointments with your physician and the lab. To monitor your body’s reaction to a daptomycin injection, your doctor may request specific lab tests.
Inform the lab staff and your doctor that you are using daptomycin injection prior to any laboratory test.
Do not share your medication with anybody else. After finishing your daptomycin injection, call your doctor if you continue to experience infection-related symptoms.
You should keep a written record of every medication you take, including any over-the-counter (OTC) items, prescription drugs, and dietary supplements like vitamins and minerals. This list should be brought with you whenever you see a doctor or are admitted to the hospital. You should always have this information with you in case of emergencies.
- Cubicin RF®