Cipro HC (Generic Ciprofloxacin and Hydrocortisone Otic)
Actual product appearance may differ slightly.
Click the CARD below to print or take a screenshot on your mobile phone or tablet. There is no need to download another app!
If you would like to personalize your card enter your full name in the member name field below the card at this link and click the Update button.
Why is this medication prescribed?
For the treatment of children’s and adults’ outer ear infections, ciprofloxacin and hydrocortisone otic are utilised. Quinolone antibiotics, which include ciprofloxacin, are a group of drugs. The drug hydrocortisone belongs to the corticosteroid family of drugs. By eliminating the infection-causing bacteria and lowering ear swelling, ciprofloxacin and hydrocortisone work together to treat ear infections.
How should this medicine be used?
The otic suspension of ciprofloxacin and hydrocortisone is intended to be inserted into the ear. It is typically used for seven days, twice daily in the morning and evening. Take hydrocortisone otic and ciprofloxacin at roughly the same times each day. Ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain any instructions on your prescription label that you are unsure about following. Implement ciprofloxacin and hydrocortisone otic exactly as advised. Use it only as directed by your doctor, neither more nor less often.
Only use of Ciprofloxacin with Hydrocortisone Otic is in the ears. Use away from the eyes.
After the first several days of treatment with ciprofloxacin and hydrocortisone otic, you should start to feel better. Call your doctor if your symptoms don’t go away after a week or worsen.
Even if you feel better, continue taking ciprofloxacin and hydrocortisone otic until the prescription is finished. Your illness could not be entirely treated if you stop taking ciprofloxacin and hydrocortisone otic too soon or if you skip doses, and the bacteria might develop an antibiotic resistance.
The steps for using the eardrops are as follows:
- Warm the solution by holding the bottle in your hand for a couple of minutes.
- Thoroughly shake the bottle.
- Lay down while elevating the impacted ear.
- Fill your ear with the recommended quantity of drops.
- Avoid touching the tip of the device to your fingers, ears, or any other objects.
- For 30 to 60 seconds, continue to lay down with the affected ear pointed upward.
- If necessary, repeat steps 1-6 for the other ear.
Other uses for this medicine
Ask your doctor or pharmacist for more details if you believe this drug should be used for something else.
What special precautions should I follow?
Before using ciprofloxacin and hydrocortisone otic,
- If you have any of the following allergies: ciprofloxacin (Cipro), hydrocortisone (Cortaid, Cortef, Cortizone, Hytone), enoxacin (Penetrex), gatifloxacin (Tequin), gemifloxacin, or cinoxacin (Cinobac) (not available in the United States), please let your doctor and pharmacist know right away (Factive), nalidixic acid (NegGram), norfloxacin (Noroxin), ofloxacin (Floxin), sparfloxacin (Zagam) (not available in the U.S.), trovafloxacin and alatrofloxacin combination (Trovan) (not available in the U.S.), or any other drugs.
- Inform your doctor and pharmacist about all prescription and over-the-counter drugs, vitamins, dietary supplements, and herbal products that you are now taking or intend to use.
- If you have a hole in your ear drum(s) or ear tube, let your doctor know (s). You won’t use this drug, your doctor will advise you.
- Inform your doctor if you are expecting, intend to get pregnant, or are nursing a baby. Call your doctor if you become pregnant while taking ciprofloxacin and hydrocortisone otic.
- You should be aware that when using ciprofloxacin and hydrocortisone otic, you must keep your infected ear(s) clean and dry. Aside from avoiding swimming unless your doctor has advised you otherwise, avoid getting the infected ear(s) wet while taking a bath.
What special dietary instructions should I follow?
Keep eating normally unless your doctor instructs you otherwise.
What should I do if I forget a dose?
As soon as you realise you missed a dose, administer it. If the next dose is soon due, skip the missed one and carry on with your regular dosing plan. To make up for a missing dose, do not use more eardrops.
What side effects can this medication cause?
Side effects from ciprofloxacin and hydrocortisone otic are possible. If any of the following symptoms are severe or persistent, consult your doctor:
Some side effects can be serious. If you experience any of these symptoms, stop using ciprofloxacin and hydrocortisone otic and call your doctor immediately:
- Eoema of the hands, feet, ankles, lower legs, cheeks, neck, tongue, lips, and eyes
- Breathing or swallowing challenges
Such negative effects may occur from using ciprofloxacin with hydrocortisone otic. If you have any strange side effects while taking this medicine, contact your doctor right away.
What should I know about storage and disposal of this medication?
Keep this medication tightly closed in the original container and out of the reach of children. Keep it away from excessive heat and moisture at room temperature (not in the bathroom). Stay warm and shield yourself from light.
Unused prescriptions must be disposed of carefully to prevent pets, kids, and other people from ingesting them. You should not, however, dispose of this medication in the toilet. Instead, utilising a medicine take-back programme is the easiest approach to get rid of your medication. To find out about take-back programmes in your area, speak with your pharmacist or the garbage/recycling department in your city. If you do not have access to a take-back programme, see the FDA’s Safe Disposal of Medications website at http://goo.gl/c4Rm4p for additional information.
Although many containers (such as weekly pill minders and those for eye drops, creams, patches, and inhalers) are not child-resistant and are simple for young children to open, it is crucial to keep all medications out of sight and out of reach of children. Always lock safety caps and promptly stash medication up and away from young children where it is out of their sight and reach to prevent poisoning. http://www.upandaway.org
In case of emergency/overdose
Call your local poison control centre at 1-800-222-1222 if ciprofloxacin and hydrocortisone otic are accidentally swallowed. Call local emergency services at 911 if the sufferer has collapsed or is not breathing.
What other information should I know?
Keep all of your doctor’s appointments.
Do not share your medication with anybody else. It’s likely that your prescription cannot be renewed.
You should keep a written record of every medication you take, including any over-the-counter (OTC) items, prescription drugs, and dietary supplements like vitamins and minerals. This list should be brought with you whenever you see a doctor or are admitted to the hospital. You should always have this information with you in case of emergencies.
Brand names of combination products
- Cipro® HC (containing Ciprofloxacin, Hydrocortisone)