Almacone (Generic Magnesium Hydroxide)
Actual product appearance may differ slightly.
Why is this medication prescribed?
Magnesium hydroxide is a short-term treatment for adults and children who experience sporadic constipation. Saline laxatives are a group of drugs that include magnesium hydroxide. It functions by making the faeces retain water. The stool becomes softer and more easily passable as a result of increasing the frequency of bowel movements.
How should this medicine be used?
Magnesium hydroxide is available as a tablet, a chewable tablet, and a solution (liquid) for oral administration. Typically, it is taken once day (ideally before night), though you can also spread the dose out across two or more hours. A bowel movement is typically brought on by magnesium hydroxide within 30 minutes to 6 hours of consuming it. Ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain any instructions you do not understand, and carefully follow any instructions on the packaging or on the label of your product. Exactly as advised, take magnesium hydroxide. Never take it in larger or less amounts or more frequently than directed by your doctor.
If you plan to give your child magnesium hydroxide, check sure the product is appropriate for their age by carefully reading the box label. Products containing magnesium hydroxide intended for adults should not be given to children. To determine how much medication the child needs, look at the package label. If you’re unsure about how much medication to give your child, consult their doctor.
Chewable tablets, tablets, and suspension should all be taken with a full glass (8 ounces [240 millilitres]) of drink.
Magnesium hydroxide shouldn’t be taken for more than a week without consulting a doctor first.
Before every usage, thoroughly shake the oral solution.
Other uses for this medicine
Along with other drugs, magnesium hydroxide is also used as an antacid to treat heartburn, acid reflux, and upset stomach.
Ask your doctor or pharmacist for more details if you believe this drug should be used for something else.
What special precautions should I follow?
Before taking magnesium hydroxide,
- If you have an allergy to magnesium hydroxide, any other drugs, or any of the substances in magnesium hydroxide preparations, let your doctor and pharmacist know right away. For a list of the ingredients, consult the product label or ask your pharmacist.
- Inform your doctor and pharmacist about any additional prescription and over-the-counter drugs, vitamins, dietary supplements, and herbal products you are now taking or intend to use. Your physician might need to adjust the dosage of your drugs or keep a close eye on you for side effects.
- Take any additional drugs at least two hours before or after taking magnesium hydroxide if you are.
- If you experience stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, or a sudden change in bowel habits that lasts longer than 2 weeks, let your doctor know. Tell your doctor whether you now have kidney disease or have ever had it.
- If you are breastfeeding a child or intend to become pregnant, let your doctor know. Call your doctor if you become pregnant while taking magnesium hydroxide.
What should I do if I forget a dose?
Before taking magnesium hydroxide, let your doctor know if you’re following a magnesium-restricted diet. Keep eating normally unless your doctor instructs you otherwise.
What side effects can this medication cause?
Side effects from magnesium hydroxide are possible. If any of these symptoms are severe or do not go away, let your doctor know right once:
- Having more frequent, watery, or loose stools
Some adverse effects can be very harmful. Call your doctor right away and stop taking magnesium hydroxide if you have any of these signs:
- Stool with blood
- Not being able to urinate 6 hours following use
Other negative consequences of magnesium hydroxide could exist. If you experience any strange issues while taking this medicine, contact your doctor right away.
You or your doctor can submit a report to the Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA) MedWatch Adverse Event Reporting programme online or by phone if you have a serious side event (1-800-332-1088).
What should I know about storage and disposal of this medication?
Keep this medication tightly closed in the original container and out of the reach of children. Store it away from excessive heat and moisture at room temperature (not in the bathroom). Don’t let the suspension freeze.
As many containers (such as weekly pill minders and those for eye drops, creams, patches, and inhalers) are not child-resistant and are simple for young children to open, it is crucial to keep all medications out of sight and out of reach of children. Always lock safety caps and promptly stash medication up and away from young children where it is out of their sight and reach to prevent poisoning. http://www.upandaway.org
Unused prescriptions must be disposed of carefully to prevent pets, kids, and other people from ingesting them. You should not, however, dispose of this medication in the toilet. Instead, utilising a medicine take-back programme is the easiest approach to get rid of your medication. To find out about take-back programmes in your area, speak with your pharmacist or the garbage/recycling department in your city. If you do not have access to a take-back programme, see the FDA’s Safe Disposal of Medicines website at http://goo.gl/c4Rm4p for additional information.
What other information should I know?
Ask any queries you may have regarding magnesium hydroxide to your pharmacist.
You should keep a written record of every medication you take, including any over-the-counter (OTC) items, prescription drugs, and dietary supplements like vitamins and minerals. This list should be brought with you whenever you see a doctor or are admitted to the hospital. You should always have this information with you in case of emergencies.
- Milk of Magnesia®
- Almacone® (containing Aluminum Hydroxide, Magnesium Hydroxide, Simethicone)
- Alumox® (containing Aluminum Hydroxide, Magnesium Hydroxide, Simethicone)
- ConRX® AR (containing Aluminum Hydroxide, Magnesium Hydroxide)
- Duo Fusion® (containing Calcium Carbonate, Famotidine, Magnesium Hydroxide)