Verelan 240mg 24 Hour Capsule
Actual product appearance may differ slightly.
Verelan is used for:
Treating supraventricular tachycardia, a rhythm disturbance of the heart.Â Verelan is also used for controlling heart rate response to other rhythm disturbances, specifically atrial fibrillation and atrial flutter. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Verapamil is a calcium channel blocker. It works by slowing the electrical conduction in the heart, slowing heart rate, and/or normalizing heart rhythm.
Do NOT use Verapamil if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Verapamil
- you have certain heart problems (eg, left ventricular dysfunction, sick sinus syndrome, second- or third-degree heart block and do not have a pacemaker); very low blood pressure; or moderate to severe congestive heart failure (CHF)
- you have atrial fibrillation or flutter and a pre-excitation syndromes (extra conduction pathway in the heart), such as Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome (WPW) or Lown-Ganong-Levine syndrome (LGL)
- you have shock due to serious heart problems
- you are taking dofetilide
Before using Verapamil :
Some medical conditions may interact with Verapamil . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have heart failure or a recent heart attack with lung congestion; low blood pressure; heart problems (eg, a very slow heart rate, heart block, heart valve disease)
- if you have kidney or liver problems, muscular dystrophy, or a neuromuscular disease
- if you are taking another blood pressure medicine
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Verapamil . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Beta-blockers (eg, propranolol), disopyramide, ketolides (eg, telithromycin), or macrolides (eg, erythromycin) because the actions and the risk of side effects of Verapamil , some potentially life-threatening, may be increased
- Phenobarbital, rifampin, or St. John’s wort because they may decrease Verapamil ‘s effectiveness
- Aldosterone blockers (eg, eplerenone), beta-blockers (eg, propranolol), other blood pressure medicines, carbamazepine, colchicine, cyclosporine, digitoxin, digoxin, dofetilide, dronedarone, eletriptan, erythromycin, everolimus, flecainide, HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors (eg, lovastatin, simvastatin), lithium, narcotic pain relievers (eg, fentanyl), nondepolarizing muscle relaxants (eg, atracurium), quinazolines (eg, metolazone), quinidine, ranolazine, theophyllines, or tolvaptan because the actions and the risk of side effects, some potentially life-threatening, may be increased by Verapamil
How to use Verapamil :
Use Verapamil as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Verapamil is usually given as an injection at your doctor’s office, hospital, or clinic. If you will be using Verapamil at home, a health care provider will teach you how to use it. Be sure you understand how to use Verapamil . Follow the procedures you are taught when you use a dose. Contact your health care provider if you have any questions.
- Do not use Verapamil if it contains particles, is cloudy or discolored, or if the vial is cracked or damaged.
- Keep this product, as well as syringes and needles, out of the reach of children and pets. Do not reuse needles, syringes, or other materials. Ask your health care provider how to dispose of these materials after use. Follow all local rules for disposal.
- If you miss a dose of Verapamil , take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Important safety information:
- Verapamil may cause dizziness. This effect may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Verapamil with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not drink alcohol or use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using Verapamil ; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- Verapamil may cause dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting; alcohol, hot weather, exercise, or fever may increase these effects. To prevent them, sit up or stand slowly, especially in the morning. Sit or lie down at the first sign of any of these effects.
- Lab tests, including liver function, kidney function, complete blood cell counts, electrocardiogram (ECG), and blood pressure, may be performed while you use Verapamil . These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Verapamil with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Verapamil should not be used in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Verapamil while you are pregnant. Verapamil is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Verapamil .
Possible side effects of Verapamil :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Dizziness; fatigue; headache; lightheadedness.
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); chest pain; lightheadedness, especially when standing; severe dizziness; shortness of breath; swelling of the feet or hands; unusually fast, slow or irregular heartbeat.