Kristalose Crystals are used for:
Treating constipation. It also may be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Kristalose Crystals are a colonic acidifier. It works by drawing water into the colon, which increases pressure in the colon to then stimulate bowel movements.
Do NOT use Kristalose Crystals if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Lactulose Crystals
- you have high blood galactose levels or you require a low-galactose diet
Before using Lactulose Crystals:
Some medical conditions may interact with Lactulose Crystals. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have diabetes, appendix problems, rectal bleeding, or an intestinal blockage
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Lactulose Crystals. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Antacids because they may decrease Lactulose Crystals's effectiveness
How to use Lactulose Crystals:
Use Lactulose Crystals as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Lactulose Crystals may be mixed with food, fruit juice, water, or milk. It also may be taken dry from a spoon and washed down with water, juice, or milk.
- Drink one or more 8-ounce glasses of liquid with each dose.
- If you miss a dose of Lactulose Crystals and you are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If several hours have passed or if it is nearing time for the next dose, do not double the dose to catch up, unless advised by your health care provider. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Important safety information:
- Contact your health care provider if diarrhea occurs.
- It may take several days for Lactulose Crystals to work.
- Diabetes patients - Lactulose Crystals may raise your blood sugar. High blood sugar may make you feel confused, drowsy, or thirsty. It can also make you flush, breathe faster, or have a fruit-like breath odor. If these symptoms occur, tell your doctor right away.
- LAB TESTS, including blood electrolyte levels, may be performed while you use Lactulose Crystals. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Lactulose Crystals while you are pregnant. It is not known if Lactulose Crystals are found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Lactulose Crystals, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Lactulose Crystals:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Belching; gas; stomach cramps.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); diarrhea; high blood sugar (excessive thirst or urination, confusion, flushing, rapid breathing, or fruity breath odor).