Diltiazem HCl 240mg 24 Hour Capsules - Generic Cardizem CD
Actual product appearance may differ slightly.
Diltiazem 24-Hour Capsules are used for:
Treating high blood pressure and chronic stable angina (chest pain). It may be used alone or in combination with other medicines. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Dilitazem 24-Hour Capsules are a calcium channel blocker. It works by relaxing (dilating) your blood vessels, lowering blood pressure, and decreasing heart rate, which lowers the workload on the heart. It also dilates coronary arteries, increasing blood flow to the heart.
Do NOT use Diltiazem 24-Hour Capsules if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Diltiazem 24-Hour Capsules
- you have certain heart problems (eg, sick sinus syndrome or second- or third-degree heart block and do not have a pacemaker), very low blood pressure, or fluid buildup in the lungs during or soon after a heart attack
- you are taking erythromycin
Before using Diltiazem 24-Hour Capsules:
Some medical conditions may interact with Diltiazem 24-Hour Capsules. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have heart failure, a recent heart attack with lung congestion, heart block, low blood pressure, a very slow heart rate, other heart problems, liver disease, or kidney problems
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Diltiazem 24-Hour Capsules. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Moricizine or rifampin because they may decrease Diltiazem 24-Hour Capsules's effectiveness
- Amiodarone, cimetidine, or HIV protease inhibitors (eg, ritonavir) because side effects, such as heart rhythm problems, may occur
- Amiodarone, benzodiazepines (eg, alprazolam), beta-blockers (eg, propranolol), buspirone, carbamazepine, cilostazol, cisapride, corticosteroids (eg, hydrocortisone), cyclosporine, digoxin, erythromycin, general anesthetics (eg, thiopental), HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors (eg, simvastatin), macrolide immunosuppressants (eg, tacrolimus), or quinidine because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Diltiazem 24-Hour Capsule
How to use Diltiazem 24-Hour Capsules:
Use Diltiazem 24-Hour Capsules as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Diltiazem 24-Hour Capsules by mouth with or without food.
- Swallow Diltiazem 24-Hour Capsules whole. Do not open, break, crush, or chew before swallowing.
- Taking Diltiazem 24-Hour Capsules at the same time each day will help you remember to take it.
- Continue to take Diltiazem 24-Hour Capsules even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of Diltiazem 24-Hour Capsules, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Diltiazem 24-Hour Capsules.
Important safety information:
- Diltiazem 24-Hour Capsules may cause dizziness, lightheadedness, or drowsiness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Diltiazem 24-Hour Capsules with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Diltiazem 24-Hour Capsules may cause dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting; alcohol, hot weather, exercise, or fever may increase these effects. To prevent them, sit up or stand slowly, especially in the morning. Sit or lie down at the first sign of any of these effects.
- Diltiazem 24-Hour Capsules may cause you to become sunburned more easily. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to Diltiazem 24-Hour Capsules. Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing if you must be outside for more than a short time.
- Patients who take medicine for high blood pressure often feel tired or run down for a few weeks after starting treatment. Be sure to take your medicine even if you may not feel "normal." Tell your doctor if you develop any new symptoms.
- Do not suddenly stop taking Diltiazem 24-Hour Capsules. Your condition may get worse if you suddenly stop taking it. If you need to stop Diltiazem 24-Hour Capsules or add a new medicine, your doctor will gradually lower your dose.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Diltiazem 24-Hour Capsules before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Be sure to have your blood pressure checked regularly while taking Diltiazem 24-Hour Capsules.
Possible side effects of Diltiazem 24-Hour Capsules:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Constipation; dizziness; facial flushing; headache; weakness.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); hallucinations; irregular heartbeat; swelling of the feet or hands; symptoms of liver problems (eg, yellowing of the skin or eyes, dark urine, pale stools); tender, bleeding, or swollen gums.