Sildenafil Citrate is used for:
Treating high blood pressure in the lungs (pulmonary arterial hypertension [PAH]). Sildenafil Citrate may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor. Sildenafil Citrate is a phosphodiesterase type 5 (PDE5) inhibitor. Sildenafil Citrate works by relaxing and dilating the blood vessels in the lungs. This lowers the blood pressure in the lungs and helps to improve your ability to exercise.
Do NOT use Sildenafil Citrate if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Sildenafil Citrate
- you have pulmonary veno-occlusive disease (PVOD)
- you are taking nitrates (eg, isosorbide, nitroglycerin) in any form (eg, tablet, capsule, spray, patch, ointment), or nitroprusside
- you take another medicine that contains sildenafil, another PDE5 inhibitor (eg, tadalafil, vardenafil), or ritonavir
- you use certain recreational drugs called "poppers" (eg, amyl nitrate or nitrite, butyl nitrate or nitrite)
Before using Sildenafil Citrate :
Some medical conditions may interact with Sildenafil Citrate . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, ordietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of a prolonged (more than 4 hours) or painful erection (priapism)
- if you have a deformed penis (eg, cavernosal fibrosis, Peyronie disease), certain blood cell problems (eg, leukemia, multiple myeloma, sickle cell anemia), or any other condition that may increase the risk of a prolonged or painful erection (priapism)
- if you have a history of certain eye problems (eg, macular degeneration, optic neuropathy, retinitis pigmentosa, sudden vision loss in one or both eyes) or hearing problems (eg, ringing in the ears, decreased hearing, hearing loss)
- if you are dehydrated or have a history of liver or kidney problems, high or low blood pressure, ulcers, bleeding problems, heart problems (eg, aortic stenosis, angina,irregular heartbeat, heart failure), blood vessel problems, or nervous system problems
- if you have a history of heart attack, stroke, or life-threatening irregular heartbeat, especially within the past 6 months
- if you are taking bosentan or medicine for erectile dysfunction (ED)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Sildenafil Citrate . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Alpha-blockers (eg, doxazosin), medicines for high blood pressure, nitrates (eg, isosorbide, nitroglycerin), or nitroprusside because severe low blood pressure with dizziness, lightheadedness, and fainting may occur
- Azole antifungals (eg, itraconazole, ketoconazole), H2 antagonists (eg, cimetidine), HIV protease inhibitors (eg, ritonavir, saquinavir), macrolide antibiotics (eg, erythromycin), or telithromycin because they may increase the risk of Sildenafil Citrate 's side effects
- Barbiturates (eg, phenobarbital), bosentan, carbamazepine, efavirenz, nevirapine, phenytoin, rifabutin, or rifampin because they may decrease Sildenafil Citrate 's effectiveness
How to use Sildenafil Citrate :
Use Sildenafil Citrate as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with Sildenafil Citrate . Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Take Sildenafil Citrate by mouth with or without food. Take your doses 4 to 6 hours apart unless your doctor tells you otherwise.
- Take Sildenafil Citrate on a regular schedule to get the most benefit from it. Take it at the same times each day.
- Continue to take Sildenafil Citrate even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses.
- Do not suddenly stop taking Sildenafil Citrate or change your dose without talking to your doctor.
- If you miss a dose of Sildenafil Citrate , take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Important safety information:
- Sildenafil Citrate may cause dizziness, drowsiness, fainting, or blurred vision. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Sildenafil Citrate with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Sildenafil Citrate may cause dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting; alcohol, hot weather, exercise, or fever may increase these effects. To prevent them, sit up or stand slowly, especially in the morning. Sit or lie down at the first sign of any of these effects.
- Patients with heart problems who take Sildenafil Citrate may be at increased risk for heart-related side effects, including heart attack or stroke. Symptoms of a heart attack may include chest, shoulder, neck, or jaw pain; numbness of an arm or leg; severe dizziness, headache, nausea, stomach pain, or vomiting; fainting; or vision changes. Symptoms of a stroke may include confusion, vision or speech changes, one-sided weakness, or fainting. Contact your doctor or seek medical attention right away if you experience these symptoms.
- Sildenafil Citrate may rarely cause a prolonged (more than 4 hours) or painful erection. This could happen even when you are not having sex. If this is not treated right away, it could lead to permanent sexual problems such as impotence. Contact your doctor right away if you have an erection that lasts more than 4 hours.
- If vomiting or diarrhea occurs, you will need to take care not to become dehydrated. Contact your doctor for instructions.
- Sildenafil Citrate may uncommonly cause mild, temporary vision changes (eg, blurred vision, sensitivity to light, blue/green color tint to vision). Contact your doctor if vision changes persist or are severe.
- Rarely, an eye problem called nonarteritic anterior ischemic optic neuropathy (NAION) has been reported in patients who took Sildenafil Citrate . This may lead to decreased vision or permanent loss of vision in some cases. If you notice a sudden decrease in vision or loss of vision in one or both eyes, contact your doctor right away.
- Sudden decreases in hearing and loss of hearing have been reported in some patients who have taken Sildenafil Citrate . Sometimes they also noticed ringing in the ears or dizziness. If you notice a sudden decrease or loss of hearing, contact your doctor right away.
- Do not use medicines or treatments for ED while you are taking Sildenafil Citrate without first checking with your doctor.
- Use Sildenafil Citrate with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Sildenafil Citrate should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Sildenafil Citrate while you are pregnant. It is not known if Sildenafil Citrate is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Sildenafil Citrate , check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Sildenafil Citrate :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome: Diarrhea; dizziness; flushing; headache; muscle aches; nosebleed; numb or tingling skin; stuffy nose; trouble sleeping; upset stomach. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur: Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); chest pain; confusion; fainting; fast or irregular heartbeat; fever; memory loss; numbness of an arm or leg; one-sided weakness; painful or prolonged erection; ringing in the ears; seizure; severe or persistent dizziness or nosebleed; severe or persistent vision changes; shortness of breath; speech problems; sudden decrease or loss of hearing; sudden decrease or loss of vision in one or both eyes.